Former monastery in Amersfoort
12 hectares of land
25.000 m² gross floor area (GFA)
The former monastery of Onze Lieve Vrouw ter Eem is a monumental complex of buildings surrounded by a park and forest area. It is an impressive complex developed in 1932, by the architect B.J. Koldewey, with small extensions dating back to the 1950s.
The special and monumental character of this 'Gesamtkunstwerk' obliges EarthY, in collaboration with its partners Plegt-Vos and ABC Planontwikkeling, to develop a worthy perspective. Due to its enclosed location – by the Bernhard barracks and the western access to be constructed – the Eemklooster is a small neighborhood of it’s own, on 12.5 hectares with 25.000 m2 of building. In a sustainable future of this 'neighbourhood' the social cohesion and lively use is essential.